PossAbilities is a FREE community outreach program developed by the Loma Linda University Health whose goal is to provide resources and support to anyone with a permanent physical or intellectual disability and veterans. Our mission is to provide new direction and hope through physical, social, and spiritual activities by connecting our members with their peers and community.
The PossAbilities program was originally developed in 2000 in response to the need for the continuum of care for our patients and their families after a lengthy hospital stay or a traumatic accident. Through feedback and direction from health care professionals and community members the program has evolved into an all-inclusive program for those with disabilities and veterans. As the program and its mission continues to grow PossAbilities has the support of administrators, faculty, staff, the student body within the Loma Linda University system and the surrounding community.
To further the healing ministry of Jesus Christ by helping the disabled community be fully integrated into society. Our program accomplishes this through advocacy, mentoring, providing peer support and resources, and creating opportunities through physical, emotional, spiritual, intellectual and social interaction. PossAbilities celebrates the value of each individual regardless of their challenges and supports their role as a valued member of the community.
The vision of PossAbilities is to provide all individuals with disabilities the opportunity to discover the boundless ways to find joy and satisfaction in a meaningful life. We feel strongly that every individual has the opportunity to make their community a better place. Leadership comes from those with disabilities and able-bodied alike, working together to enable and empower one another. By making our own community stronger, we lead by example to share our vision nationwide.
PossAbilities shares the values of Loma Linda University Medical Center East Campus by innovating excellence in Christ-centered health care through community outreach and support.
Reflects the love of God with respect, mercy, and empathy.
• Listens to others with kindness and concern.
• Consistently treats others with courtesy.
• Encourages an environment that is inclusive.
• Anticipates and responds to the needs and suffering of others.
Exceeds expectations with effectiveness, reliability, and efficiency.
• Carefully analyzes and balances all aspects of each decision.
• Establishes high standards for exceptional Mission-Focused Learning and quality health care.
• Participates in education and clinical care that is evidence-based.
• Takes all necessary measures to ensure personal and collective safe practices.
Puts self-importance aside for the greater good of others.
• Relates to others with selfless caring.
• Learns from teachable moments.
• Treats everyone with thoughtfulness and patience.
• Lives life with a commitment to service.
Carries out actions with honesty and trustworthiness.
• Builds dependability through honest communication with others.
• Respects personal and academic freedom.
• Follows through on commitments.
• Holds self and others accountable for actions.
Commits to diversity, equity and inclusion.
• Considers how one’s actions will affect others and the environment around.
• Calls out actions that are in conflict with our values.
• Supports efforts to remove systemic barriers.
• Protects the dignity and worth of all individuals.
• Works toward quality healthcare access for all.
Collaborates to achieve a shared purpose.
• Recognizes, understands, and celebrates the unique strengths of all team members.
• Shares knowledge and learning opportunities for team growth.
• Recognizes the contributions of others and affirms their successes.
• Participates willingly whenever needs arise.
Loved by God, growing in health, living with purpose in community.
• Supports the spiritual value of faith-based education and health care.
• Demonstrates a positive, peaceful, and hopeful attitude.
• Promotes Christ’s healing ministry through prayer, positive relationships, and a healthy lifestyle.
• Lives a life that is morally sound and moderate in all things.
Stay Active and Have Fun!
Join Us. You will have many opportunities to get active, get healthy, and make new friends. We have adaptive sports, social and recreational activities, support groups, and more. Get a discounted gym membership and take advantage of adaptive workout equipment (temporarily suspended), or check out our calendar of events and programs.
Belong. We want you to feel connected. Whether you received care at Loma Linda University Medical Center or heard about us later, you can be a part of PossAbilities. Our goal is to provide you the opportunities and tools you need to succeed and live a fulfilled life.
Benefits of Membership:
All social and recreational activities are free of cost to our members.
- Social and recreational activities
- Peer mentoring
- Adaptive sports
- Support groups
- Discounted membership to the Drayson Center with adaptive equipment (small fee) includes:
- Weight and cardio rooms (adaptive equipment available)
- Indoor ¼-mile running track
- Outdoor ½-mile dirt track
- Tennis, and indoor racquetball and basketball courts
- Floor and water aerobics
- Martial arts
- Outdoor heated pools (accessible by automatic lift) and jacuzzi
- TV lounge
- Snack shop
- Ping pong tables
- Personal trainers
- Massage therapy
- Friendly and caring staff
- Discount prescription program
- On-campus cafeteria and snack shop discounts
- Grant and scholarship opportunities